Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Animation Student of the Month - Sean DeVaney, March 2011

Once a month the Animation Department will spotlight one animation student and their work as the Animation Student of the Month. Sean DeVaney is the current Animation Student of the Month, for March, 2011.

Although not an Animation major, Sean DeVaney created an excellent animated short for the DAD 110 class which showed great timing and humor. Sean is a talented Audio Production major at DSU.

Sean created this great animated short for Fall Semester DAD 110, 2010. This was hand-drawn digitally on the Fujitsu tablet. Music by Kings of Leon


Sean also worked as part of a team on a music video project for Fall Semester DAD 110, 2010. Sean and his crew, 'Without ME it's just AWESO,' filmed and edited an excellent music video using live action and animation (pixilation) for the song Jessie's Girl.



Sean and his crew members created this great music video for Fall Semester DAD 110, 2010


Tell us about yourself
I have lived in Madison my whole life basically, minus a little over a year when I lived in Aberdeen for college. I have one sister, named Candice. Our parents are Tony and Trish who are divorced. I have a niece named, Natalie. I have gone through 2 years of college. I attended a year and a half at Northern State University before returning to Madison to attend this last semester at DSU.

You created a 10 second hand drawn animated project for DAD110. What did you like about this project?
I really enjoyed trying to make an entertaining short animation. I liked being able to make it how I wanted to, instead of having a set theme or criteria.

What was your inspiration for this animation project?
My inspiration for the project is kind of hard to define. It started out with me bouncing a tennis ball against the floor and wall. I was then discussing the project with my dad at his office, when I came up with an idea of doing a sort of slap-stick comedy style because I'm a big fan of that kind of comedy. So then I thought of doing some sort of variation of using the ball and someone getting hit. That's basically the vague inspirational explanation behind it.

What did you learn from this project?
I learned that animation isn't as hard as I thought. Also, I learned how to use the gimp program which is a lot simpler to use than I first thought.


Can you tell us a bit about your Military Service? How long have you been serving in the military?
Well, I joined the military in fall of 2007. I am part of the Army National Guard. I am currently a combat engineer. I will be re-classing to a bridge crewmember.

What unit do you serve with? Can you tell us a little about your duties/responsibilities?
I originally was a part of the 211th unit here in Madison, until October of 2010, when I got transferred to the 200th unit in Pierre in order to deploy with them. I will soon have two jobs as I previously stated. The basic definition of what it means to be a combat engineer is demolition and route clearance. Bridge crewmembers recon, build, and maintain bridges, etc.

When will you deploy to Afghanistan? How many times have you toured Iraq and/or Afghanistan?
I will be deploying this summer to Afghanistan, and it will be my first tour overseas.


What one thing will you miss the most when you are deployed to Afghanistan and why?
The thing I'll miss the most is seeing my family and friends for the year because of just missing out on all that'll happen while I'm gone.





As a member of the South Dakota Guard Sean will tour Afghanistan this year.

In honor of his military service, and for all fellow DSU students who have and will serve in the military, the Animation Department, on behalf of all of DSU, wishes Sean a safe tour.

No comments:

Post a Comment